Healthy Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Look, please just make these delicious healthy chocolate chip pancakes and enjoy every tasty bite! I’m not saying you should do it everyday. (Reminder: you shouldn’t!) I mean truthfully, I can think of at least a half-dozen other types of pancakes that are better anyway… blueberry, banana, sweet potato, pumpkin…, but when you DO want chocolate chip pancakes, you can use this recipe to make melty, choolate-y pancake deliciousness that is GOOD FOR YOU.
If you make these quick, easy, homemade pancakes instead of using one of those HORRIBLE for you mixes that are chock full of over-processed JUNK, they are actually pretty healthy, healthier even than pancakes that don’t have chocolate in them, which is a good thing, because they’re delicious and you’re going to want seconds, trust me! These pancakes taste just like your everyday classic homemade pancakes – but instead of following one of those classic, nutrition-terrible recipes like these Good Old Fashioned Pancakes from AllRecipes that calls for added sugar and melted butter, these are far lower in sodium and pack a big protein punch, too! It’s like… less than 24 hours away from the year 2016. This is the space age, and I’m all about tradition but, umm, leave old-fashioned recipes in the past where they belong! You can also easily make these gluten-free using any of the popular methods for gluten-free pancakes: oats, cottage cheese, rice, etc. in your food processor and they will taste just the same.
Like many other healthy recipes out there – greek yogurt is key not only to making these healthy, but to making them so yummy. If someone in your family doesn’t like greek yogurt, do not fear – they will not taste it in these not one teent-sy bit. Finicky eaters will be none the wiser! Also, if you don’t have plain greek yogurt on-hand; vanilla would also work just fine. If you’re feeling adventurous and want to substitute some type of fruit-flavored yogurt instead, that should work too, though I haven’t tried it myself – so if you do, please let me know your results! And if you have any healthier flours on hand, that’ll work as well. Optionally lower fat and cholesterol content even more by swapping the eggs for eggwhites.
Light, fluffy, flavorful… and CHOCOLATE! The perfect pancake! You can whip these up in 5 minutes flat and have them hot on the table in 10! Go!
- Whole-Wheat Flour, 1 Cup
- Non-fat Greek Yogurt, Vanilla or Plain, 1 Cup
- Baking Powder or Soda - 2 pinches
- 1 Large Egg
- Splash of Milk (or water)
- Dash of Cinnamon - to taste
- Mini Semisweet Chocolate Chips - 1½ Tbsp. or to taste
- Add equal portions of flour and greek yogurt, stir until well combined, add cinnamon if desired, as well as baking powder or soda if baking powder is not available. Add in egg and mix, add a splash of milk or water and a bit more flour if necessary to reach your desired consistency - add more liquid for a thinner, lighter pancake or less for a thicker, dryer pancake. Stir in the chocolate chips and pour batter onto a preheated griddle or pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, flipping after a few minutes to reach your desired level of done-ness, as you would with regular pancakes. Base recipe makes about 4 medium sized pancakes.